Thursday 26 June 2008

Wednesday 6/4/08

The only bad thing about yesterdays cooking class is that I ate so much that I must of expanded my stomach again. Since we have arrived in Italy I eat a lot less. Which was a good thing, considering that I usually eat way to much at home. Today it seemed like I couldn't fill myself up at all and I didnt want to eat the ridicoulus amount that I did the day before.

For lunch I had a fried egg with some swiss cheese, salt and pepper before I headed off to foods class. Today was the first day that our teacher was gone. A handful of students were in charge of the class today. The topic of the day was Salami and Cheese. For our field study I headed off to a new grocery store that I had never been to. I needed some food for the next couple days anyways so why not kill two birds with one stone. I head right for the deli to check out the meats and cheeses. There were more types of cheeses than I could of imagined with greatly varying prices. In the salami category there wasn't as much. I noticed a type of meat that looked like a combination of salami and bologne. It was the color of bologne except for large white pieces of meat in it like the ones in salami. I decided to try a package of it however I went over to Pam, the grocery store by my house to buy it (the food is much cheaper there). While I was over there I decided to get some swiss cheese too and some bread for lunch for the next couple days. I also picked up some nutella. I know that we have this in the states however it is just to good to go without. For anyone that hasn't tried it before it is a chocolate spread with hazelnut in it. This will be my desert for the next couple days, if it lasts that long.

For dinner tonight I was feeling lazy again. Yesterdays chef let me take home some of the minced vetetables that were on top on the pasta so I used them with some salt and pepper and some olive oil and made a make shit toping for some pasta. It tasted alright. I must say that I am getting better at cooking/experimenting with foods while I am over here.

Desert was a large spoonful of nutella and a krappfen. Krappfen I believe is the italian word for donut. There is this donut shop across the river from my apartment that is open only late at night. The baker cooks all the donuts for the next day at night. He has a little window that he sells fresh donuts through. I got a large chocolate filled donut. It was awesome.

No comments: