Friday 27 June 2008

The End

This will be the last post of my blog. I must say that I miss Italy so much. I loved everything about the trip. It is such a beautiful country, with so much history and culture. I enjoyed so much watching and learning a different lifestyle, the food especially. I prefer the way that I ate in Italy so much more than how I do at home. I loved being away from fast food, frozen food, and preservatives. I dont think I will ever go to a Mcdonald's or Burger King again. From now on I am going to try to eat much healthier foods that havent been sitting on a shelf for the past 6 months. I loved how everything in Italy was so fresh. The fresh fruits, bread, and cheeses were staples in my diet. I can also say that I have found a new love for pasta. There is so much that you can do with it besides serving it with traditional red sauce. This is going to be a savior for me since I will be living in my first apartment next semester.

If I could bring back any foods to the U.S. with me I would have definately brought back kebabs. Even though they are not really itialian they are still so good. However I have the feeling that if I ate Kebabs all the time I would probobly get sick of them. I feel like kebabs for us would be like Taco Bell for Italians. They dont have it back home so the first couple months or so they would love it and then they would get sick of it. Gelato would be another thing I would bring back. I loved Gelato so much more than the ice cream we have at home. I guess Ben and Jerries Cherry Garcia can give it a run for its money, however with nutella flavored gelato its a close competition.

I found myself eating much healthier over in italy and eating smaller portions that still gave me the strenght and energy that I needed for hte day. I think that is the most valuable thing that I have taken back to the states. Its important to eat right and before I went on this trip my diet was pretty poor. I tried alot of new things while I was in italy and realized that I can eat really healthy with the foods that we have at home too. From now on I am going to try to eat much better than I did before.

I cant express enough how much I enjoyed my trip to italy. I wish I was back there right now. I definately plan on visiting Verona again. It became like a second home to me. Now if you will excuse me, Im hungry, I need to go get some Burger King. Haha Just kidding.

1 comment:

Susan Williams said...

Great blog, Erik. I thoroughly enjoyed following your eating adventures through Verona, Florence, Rome, Padua, and Venice, as well as places I never got to. You did an excellent job of keeping track of all the food you ate and describing it for us--and you also did some innovative cooking. I hope you get back to Italy soon!